Title of the Conference
Musical multimediality as a keystone of artistic manifestations in the 20th-21st century Europe
Muzyczna multimedialność jako zwornik artystycznych manifestacji na przełomie XX-XXI wieku w Europie
Dates, Venue, Format
31 August – 2 September 2022
The conference will be held in the Institute of Musicology at the Jagiellonian University
Address: ul. Westerplatte 10, 31-033 Kraków, Poland
The conference is planned both in person and as an online event.
Objectives & Themes of the Conference
The conference is planned as an international, multidisciplanery forum for debating the role of music across various areas of cultural activities in 20th and 21st century Europe. The notion of musical multimediality serves as an umbrella concept enabling the discussion of a multitude of general topics as well as particular cases. At this interdisciplinary conference, we want to look at music from a broad perspective, not only in a cultural context but also by addressing issues connected with the adaptability and versatility of music and its liaisons with other arts. Hence we welcome papers dedicated, among others, to:
- the function(s) of popular music,
- music in films, theatre, computer games,
- music and/for dance, music and/for fitness,
- music in post-socialistic (post-Soviet) countries, including music and propaganda, music and protest,
- the role of popular music in post-socialistic (post-Soviet) countries,
- musical compositions as icons (in social and political contexts, etc.),
- elements of national culture in music for computer games, film, and theatre.
During the two days of the conference, presentations of papers (in English and Polish) are planned. An accompanying workshop for undergraduates Music in films and performative arts - from theory to practice will be held in Polish.
We welcome both full presentations (circa 15-20 minutes in length) and short announcements (circa 5-10 minutes in length) reporting only the planned research, signalizing certain issues, proposing future collaborations, etc.
We expect to publish the outcomes of the conference; hence all written versions of presentations should be ready by 30 September 2022. The texts will be published in peer-reviewed musicological Musica Iagellonica Yearly in spring 2023.
English and Polish. The presentations will be, however, published only in English (translation will be provided by the organizers in case of papers delivered in Polish).
Deadline for submissions
You are very much invited to take part in the conference, either in person or online, and to present either a full paper or just an announcement.
All interested in participating are kindly asked to send their proposals, preferably by using the Registration Form (enclosed) and sending it to the address firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 'Multimedia conference' not later than 30 June 2022.
Organizers cannot cover the cost of transportation to and from Kraków but can help with arranging accommodation during the conference. Please indicate in your mail if you would like to get some help finding accommodation in Kraków.
- 30 June – sending proposals (for papers and announcements) and confirming your willingness to participate in the conference without any presentation
- 15th July – receiving the notification of acceptance
- 31st Aug.-2nd Sept. – CONFERENCE
- 30 Sept. – submitting the written version of the presentation.